A Safe Halloween is a Happy Halloween

Stay Safe this Halloween !
A recent report from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) lists Halloween as the fifth highest day of the year for candle fires (behind the Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day).
• Keep jack o’ lanterns and other decorations containing lighted candles away from flammable materials. Cornstalks and hay bales are highly flammable!
• Use jack o’ lanterns and other decorations containing lighted candles outside the home, if possible. Battery-powered lights and flashlights are good alternatives to candles. Avoid placing candle-lit luminaries along pathways where trick-or-treaters’ costumes may brush the luminaries and possibly catch fire.
• Supervise children around lit candles.
• Remember that light bulbs also generate heat and can cause fire if they come in contact with flammable materials. Keep cornstalks and hay bales away from bulbs. Never drape a fabric ghost or other figure over a light bulb.
• Buy costumes, wigs and props that are labeled flame resistant or flame retardant.
• Teach children the “stop, drop and roll” technique in case their clothing catches fire. (Stop immediately, drop to the ground covering your face with your hands, and roll over and over to extinguish flames.)